I don't think there was a dry eye when she crossed the finish line. "She" was Cassie Stersic, the 8 or 9 yrs old daugther of the man who Cran Hill Ranch (the camp I went to this weekend)had named their triatholon after in order to honor his name and memory. Tim Stersic had run this race for the last seveal years with great seriousness. He swam, biked, and ran with all intention of winning. I believe last year he did win (or at least came in second) and then two weeks after running this race, Tim unexpectedly finished his REAL race and was taken home to be with his Creator, Father, and Friend. He, like Paul would be able to say,
"I have fought the good fight, I HAVE FINISHED THE RACE, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day-and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing." 2 Timothy 4:7
What was it about Cassie, Tim's daughter, crossing the finish line that brought everyone to tears? I can't neccessarily speak for everyone else but for myself it was her shirt. She wore this shirt that had printed on the back "Tim Stersic" and on the front of the shirt, the part we all saw as she crossed the finish line just under one year after her daddy was taken from her, was printed, "RUNNING FOR DADDY."
I can't get those words out of my mind.
As I watched her cross the finish line I felt very mixed emotions. I felt incredibly sad over her loss and an intense hatred for death. I also felt incredibly inspired. I wanted to be like her. I wanted a shirt like hers. I believe her shirt whispered our mission as believers.
Tim was her daddy, her "Abba". She knew him intimately. She knew that he loved her deeply. She experienced him on a daily basis as he "fathered" her, providing for her needs, teaching and training her, loving her. And now, having loved him as her father she was running her race to honor his name.
"We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that his life may be revealed in our mortal body. So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you." 2 Corinthians 4:8-12
As Cassie ran, carrying around in her body the death of her father, something happened in my spirit. I found life at work in me. I found myself inspired to run my life race for the honor of my "Daddy." Cassie knew her father loved to run, so she ran to honor his name. We know that our "Father" loves to LOVE, so we LOVE to honor his name.
Scripture is clear and full of truths that speak of this as our very mission in life- to run for the sake of His name, His glory, His honor. "Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." As we carry around in our bodies the death of Jesus, all he went through out of love for us, all he has done to provide for us and to teach us,the hope he has set before us, may we be infused with a passion to make him known and bring honor to his name.
May we all know God and Jesus as "Abba". May we all run our race (live our life) "for our daddy"...to honor him and his name. As the world watches, and sees us cross our finish line someday still wearing our "shirt" may they be moved to tears and be full of desire to know this One we run for.
"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame...." Hebrews 12:1 & 2
"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in he games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly....." 1 Corinthians 9:24-26
Blessings from Bombadil. May your soul be watered and may you water another's soul. Kristy Joy Link
Get free photo software from Windows Live Click here.