Friday, May 8, 2009

"to protect"

I love to run! Once when I was at my parent's home in Florida I was running around the block when this dog came running toward me. Mean looking dogs running straight towards me do not provide  me with a great sense of peace and safety. So, I did the only thing I knew to do and said, "God, you tell me that you come to the resuce of those who call on the name of Jesus. JESUS!  Would you please PROTECT me from this dog?" Immediately, with no one else in sight, a car alarm went off scaring the dog away. With thankfulness of heart, I let out a relieved, "Thank you, God."

 Another time, while in Florida, I was  running around the track a few blocks from my home.  I had been running alone at the track until a man appeared with a golf club in hand. He was planning on playing golf in the field right by the track. He said "Hi" to me and I certainly wanted to be friendly back without being "too" friendly.  As I continued running around the track, I became more and more unsettled in my spirit about this man.  I began praying and saying, "Jesus- You know all things. I don't know this man and the motives of his heart but you do. I'm feeling a little scared right now and I ask that you PROTECT me from this man........this man with the GOLF CLUB in his hand who  might just whack me over the head." When I finished my run the man was standing at the exit seemingly waiting for me. I had to turn my back on him to walk home, so as I began walking I breathed another silent prayer saying, "Jesus, PROTECT me." I cannot describe
the down to the second perfect timing. Just as I came to the street, a car pulled up right to where I was. Inside that car was my husband. In disbelief I asked, "What are you doing here?" Rob said, "I don't know, I was at the store and just thought you might want a ride home." "YES!!! I WANT A RIDE HOME!". Once again, my heart was "overwhelmed with wonder" at the protection my Father in heaven had provided me.

This is my testimony, my personal experience with calling on the name of Jesus.

The third quality  and somewhat of a "job description" described in the word,"Mother"  is "To protect."

PROTECT- To keep from harm, attack, or injury, to guard;defend; to shield- having something or someone placed between the threat and the threatened. 

As moms, moms- to-be, women who have "spiritual children",  etc........it is our job to protect our children, just as Jesus protects us. Listen to what God's word says about the word "protect" and lets see what we can learn.

1. "You are my hiding place. You will PROTECT me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance." Psalm 32:7

 For us to be protected and to protect our children- we must first make Jesus Christ our hiding place. It is when we come to the True Living God and call on his name  making Him our "hiding place" that we enter into a protected state.


2. "Discretion will PROTECT you, and understanding will guard you." Prov. 2:11


 It is our responsibility as moms, to seek wisdom, get understanding and discretion first for ourselves then to pass that on to our children. Remember God's word that says,

 "Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie thema s symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. TEACH THEM TO YOUR CHILDREN, TALKING ABOUT THEM WHEN YOU SIT AT HOME AND WHEN YOU WALK ALONG THE ROAD, WHEN YOU LIE DOWN AND WHEN YOU GET UP. WRITE THEM ON THE DOORFRAMES OF YOUR HOUSES AND ON YOUR GATES, SO THAT your days and the days of your children my be many ....." Deuteronomy 11:18-21

Applying God's wisdom, understanding and discretion offers protection to us and our children

3."Holy Father, PROTECT them by the power of your name.......When I was with them I PROTECTED them and kept them safe by that name you gave me.....My PRAYER is not that you take them out of the world but that you  PROTECT them from the evil one........My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message.....' John 17:11, 15, & 20.

Jesus, himself, prayed to the Living God for us. As moms, we need to PRAY for the protection of our children. According to Scripture, there is an evil one.

4. "Love always PROTECTS......" 1 Corinthians 13:7

When we love the way God wants us to love we will be used in  protecting our children.


It is my hope for us, that we will all know and experience personally the protection of God and offer protection to our children through leading them to Jesus, teaching them, praying for them, and loving them well.  God loves us all soooooo deeply. As I write, I am aware of some of your situations where you were not protected seemingly by God or by your moms. My heart aches deeply with you and for you. As you sort through that pain (and I would love to help any of you sort through that), it is my hope that you come to the belief that God does love you, has seen you every moment of your life, desires to protect you and rescue you as you call on His name.

Happy Mother's Day this Sunday. May all you mothers out there be honored. May all you women out there who have lost mothers be comforted (I am soooo sorry), May all you women out there who desire to be moms and are not yet keep hoping. May all you women out there who have been hurt by mothers mourn and yet be able to offer forgiveness. May all you single moms out there take one day at a time relying on Jesus every step of the way (you have one of the toughest jobs...my heart is with you). Mother's day brings so many different thoughts and emotions. On this day, May the Creator of Motherhood be honored. He really had a brilliant idea in making moms. Blessings from Bombadil. Kristy Joy Link