Tuesday, July 21, 2009

FW: A broken spirit

 Did you ever see the movie, The Horse Whisperer? Remember the scene where the horse was soo wild and disobedient that the horse whisperer had to wound him a little with great gentleness until he brought that horse into submission? Life was not going to be good for either the horse or the owner until the horse was broken and ready to submit to it's owner. I think I experienced that last night.
 After driving 12 hours in a van with cooped up kids , coming home from my grandma's 90th birthday party in New York, I was weary and simply ready for bed. However, during one of our stops, one of my children (who I will keep nameless) was very disobedient and disrespectful  and in need of some serious discipline. After getting everything unloaded, 4 other children in bed, and myself in  a state of mind to disicpline well and not in anger, this precious child of mine and I sat on our couch ready to enter into some soul work.  As I gathered this child up in my arms, stroking this beloved's hair, we began chatting about the day. I took off my little " 25 characteristics of a fool" frame hanging on my wall and GENTLY AND LOVINGLY began reading some of the characteristics. Immediately, this child stood up and with the same kind of attitude of the wild horse in the "Horse Whisperer" began walking around the room saying to me, "Are you calling me a
fool?....Go ahead. Call me a fool." As I let this child wrestle with the Words of God, I sat quietly by, continually reminding this child how much I loved him/her and how deeply he/she was loved  by God. Finally, after many minutes of dialouge and redirecting this child's thinking, reminding him/her of the depth of love for this beloved's soul and allowing the pain of the truth to sink in, this child of mine slumped into the couch with a beautiful  contrite spirit saying with all sincereity and humility, with tears and remorse, "I AM a fool, mom. I'm sooooo sorry." As I embraced this child fully, I reminded my "gift" that he/she wasn't a fool but rather acted like a fool . I shared how many foolish choices I have made myself. We talked about how God's Word is given to us to help us see ourselves for who we really are, to be sorry over our foolish ways and to change.   God's Word isn't given to us to beat us up but rather to help us
become all that God meant for us to be. After probably 1/2 hour of engaging in "soul work" this child couldn't keep his/her hands off of me. I received sooo much lovin' and had my wonderful child "back". I went to sleep thankful for the Words of God and their power.
"For the Word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the THOUGHTS AND ATTITUDES OF THE HEART." Hebrews 4:12
 "This is the one I esteem: he who is HUMBLE AND CONTRITE IN SPIRIT, and trembles at my word." Isaiah 66:2
 May we be women who let the Word of God do its work in us. May we not fight it as defensive wild horses but rather may we be broken, ready to admit as we slump into the couch, " I am a fool. I have been wrong." And may we find great joy and delight in being esteemed by God.  Blessings from Bombadil. May your soul be watered and may you water another's soul. Kristy Joy Link



Windows Live™ SkyDrive™: Store, access, and share your photos. See how.