"For you know that we dealt with each of you as a FATHER/MOTHER DEALS WITH HIS/HER OWN CHILDREN, ENCOURAGING, COMFORTING, AND URGING you to live lives worthy of God, who calls you into his kingdom and glory." 1 Thessalonians 2:11 & 12
This is a great verse teaching/reminding us of one of our major responsibilities as moms. It is our job, our honor, our responsibility, our joy to use our time with our children to "encourage, comfort, and urge" them to LIVE LIVES WORTHY OF GOD.
WHY???
*It is why we are here.
"In bringing many sons to glory, it was fitting that God, FOR WHOM AND THROUGH WHOM EVERYTHING EXISTS...."Hebrews 2:10
"All things were created by him and FOR HIM."Colossians 1:16
* Because God deserves it. He is worthy of our best.
*"A son honors his father, and a servant his master. If I am a father, where is the honor due me? If I am a master, where is the respect due me?....For I am a great King,' says the Lord Almighty, "and my name is to be feared among the nations." Malachi 1: 6 & 14
*It communicates love and thankfulness to God and all he has done for and given us.
*"If you love me you will obey my commandments."
*"The world must learn that I love the Father and do everything he commands."
"Therefore in view of God's mercy offer bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God."
Romans 12:1
* For his name's sake
* "He guides me in paths of righteousness FOR HIS NAME'S SAKE." Psalm 23: 3
* We will be held accountable for our lives on this earth
*"For we will all stand before God's judgment seat: It is written: "As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God." So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God." Romans 14:11 & 12
ENCOURAGE (you to live a life worthy of God)- inspire to continue on a chosen course; impart courage or confidence to ; embolden; give support
Here's what this looked like for me this morning with my 12 year old: He knows he needs to come over to me before he gets on that school bus at 7a.m. so I can give him some "daily bread." I read to him from Ephesians 5:1 that says, "Be imitators of God, therefore as dearly loved children, and live a life of love, just as Christ gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God." I told Jake as he sees the flag outside our home with the "L" on it for "Link" to let it also remind him to "Live a Life of Love." It was a 2 minute interaction where I simply sought to inspire him to continue on seeking to love.
COMFORT- to soothe in time of grief or fear; to ease physically; relieve , as of pain, give well-being
URGE- to entreat earnestly and repeatedly, plead with. To advocate persistently; to request or pressure a person to do something that one advocates; making an earnest appeal for such action.
I'm running out of time. Let me encourage you, comfort you and urge you as moms. We have the greatest privilege in life. We only have a limited time to pour into these precious children of ours and we are never promised another day. It is HARD to be a mom. It requires so much of us, more than we often have to give. We fail, we feel lilke bad moms, we feel alone.....................................every mom who has walked this earth KNOWS EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL.............God knows how we feel. Let him quiet you with his love and his promise to be with you. "You can do all things through Christ who strengthens you." May I URGE you to keep the end in view. The end where you can honestly say before God and your children that you gave it your all, and although you may have failed at times, you earnestly sought to love them and teach them about God. The end where "her children arise and call her blessed." Psalm 139: 28 We can do this! It is a holy calling
that deserves our greatest attention! Now, may you go and encourage, comfort and urge your little sheep. Blessings from Bombadil. Kristy Joy Link
"I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me." Phillipians 1:25 & 26