Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A Sincere apology

I had a teacher approach me last week and share with me how touched she was by my son's apology. Curious, I asked her what was it about the apology that touched her so. She said it was his SINCERITY.
 I jokingly (but kinda /not really) replied, "Oh, he has had lots of practice."  Upon reflection, I think that's one of the highest compliments I could receive about one of my children. After all, God knows we aren't perfect and will fail Him and each other. That's why he sent Jesus-  to be perfect for us. So,  isn't a sincere apology (that leads to changed behavior) what God  is looking for and finds touching as well? Listen to the HEART of GOD:

"This is what the Lord says, 'Heaven in my throne, and the earth is my footstool. Where is the house you will build for me? Where will my resting place be? Has not MY HAND made ALL these things and so they came into being?..This is the one I ESTEEM: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word."         Isaiah 66: 1 & 2

"I live in a high and holy place, but also with him who is contrite and lowly in spirit..." Isaiah 57:15

CONTRITE: Humbled by guilt and repentant for one's sins.

REPENT-  to FEEL remorse or self-reproach for what one has done or failed to do; be contrite as to change one's mind regarding it.

"I tell you, there will be MORE REJOICING in heaven over ONE sinner who REPENTS than over the 99 who dont need to repent." Luke 15:7

"In the past God overlooked such ignorance BUT NOW he commands all people EVERYWHERE to REPENT. For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given PROOF of this to ALL MEN by raising him from the dead." Acts 17: 30

"If you REPENT, I will restore you that you may serve me;
if you utter WORTHY, not worthless, words, you will be my spokesman. Let this people turn to you, but you must NOT turn to them." Jeremiah 15:19

"Unless you REPENT, you too will all perish." Luke 13:5

Oh my friends- God is sooooooooo good. He is LOVE and he is LIGHT and there is NO DARKNESS in him. All he requires of us is to be sincerely sorry for the ways we have hurt him, his people, and  his creation. He simply wants us to feel remorse over how we have destroyed all things BEAUTFIUL through our ignorance, not caring, rebellion, laziness,  fear, self-pity and selfishness, disbelief,  etc.......He just wants us to be like the tax collector who :

"would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, "God, have mercy on me, a sinner."

May it be said of us, as it was of my son, "Her apology touched me."

May our apologies to God and our fellow men be:

    *Sincere- true, presenting no false appearance, pure, unadulterated, genuine

    *May we see and feel deeply how we hurt God and  his people through our words/actions or lack of                         words/actions.  May we seek to understand their hearts.

    *May we "make EVERY EFFORT to  live in  peace with ALL men..." Hebrews 12:14

    "May we be QUICK to apologize, " If your brother has something against you, leave your gift there in front of     the altar. First GO and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift. Settle matters quickly         with your adversary." Matthew 5:25

    *May we PROVE our repentance through our actions, showing that we are REALLY sorry for our behavior.     Acts 26:20 says, "I preached that they should REPENT and turn to God and PROVE THEIR REPENTANCE     by their deeds."

    *May we NOT MAKE EXCUSES and blame others. A good apology is this:
        " I am soooo sorry for the way I hurt you. I was wrong. Will you please forgive me?"  (said with                         SINCERITY) Period! Period! Period!  Resist the TEMPTATION to say, "But.........I was only,....but                     you........." (This is the HARDEST part for me......and my children..........and etc....)

Blessings from Bombadil. Now go touch lives with your sincere apologies. Kristy Link
   


 "I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me." Phillipians 1:25 & 26