Monday, May 3, 2010

"Behold wonder."

I've had these word stickers that I bought at Hobby Lobby (Oh yeah- good ol' H.L!) for 50% just sitting in my basement. Well- this week I decided it was time to finally put them up for all to see. The words I bought were:

                                    "BEHOLD WONDER."

As I contemplated just where exactly to put them, there really wasn't much thinking needed. I know that some of  the most "WONDER- FULL"  things in my home, are my children.  I agree with God's word when it says,

" And the Lord was GRACIOUS  (kind) to Hannah; she conceived and gave birth to 3 sons and 2 daughters."
1Samuel 2:21

So, right outside by bedroom are the words, "Behold wonder" and baby pictures of 5 precious Link children.

After I put the words up on the wall, I made sure that my children knew what the word "WONDER" meant.

WONDER means "that which arouses awe, astonishment, surprise, or admiration; a monumental human creation regarded with awe."

Then I made sure they knew that these were not just empty, untrue words from the opinion of a "mom", but straight from the heart of God himself, words that are TRUE!

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise YOU because I am fearfully and WONDERFULLY made; Your works are WONDERFUL, I know that full well." Psalm 139:14

There are soooo many things we need to teach our children, but one of the deepest, most important & core truths we need to drill into their brains and hearts, is that they are soooooooooooooooo precious both to us and to God. They are 'WONDER- FULL" simply because God created them and there is no one else in the entire world like them. No one else ever has or ever will have their fingerprint.

I want my children to "KNOW FULL WELL," that they are a "WONDER." Of course, not more "wonderful" than anyone else, and not without their flaws, weaknesses, imperfections and sins that reveal their desperate NEED  for God and a Savior, the ONLY PERFECT ONE,   but at the core of who they are, "even the very hairs of their head are all numbered....they are WORTH MORE than MANY birds." (Matthew 10:31).

There are too many voices in the world and in our children's own minds and hearts telling them they are not worth very much and aren't too "wonderful." May we do all we can as moms, to fill our children's minds with the truth that they are a "WONDER."

This week I wrote a note to a friend who gave me some of his own homemade PURE maply syrup. In my note I expressed A LOT of delight  in and thankfulness for his gift to me. He responded with the words,

" I am likewise blessed by your delight."

His words came through to my heart like the voice of God, "who richly provides us with everything FOR OUR ENJOYMENT." (1 Timothy 6:17)

How Blessed God must be when we delight in our children, thanking him for his "gracious" gift given to us through them and praising HIM for the WONDER they are. Likewise, how sad it must make his heart, when we don't "BEHOLD WONDER"  that He has created and given us for our enjoyment. May we teach our children that they are a "wonder," and may we bless the heart of God by our delight in them. Blessings from Bombadil. Kristy Joy Link

p.s. "DISCIPLINE your son, and he will give you peace; he will bring delight to your soul." Prov. 29:17

If you have forgotten that your child is a wonder, perhaps it's a discipline issue. It is our job to train our kids.


 "I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me." Phillipians 1:25 & 26