Wednesday, January 19, 2011

An unusual greeting

         Something sooooo unusual happened yesterday. Like normal,  I went to pick up 3 of my children at Winchell Elementary at the same, 3:45pm pick up time that I do every day. Usually, when I pick up my children from school, I get a "fairly" nice greeting..........a "Hi mom," a hug, a backpack to hold for them (how sweet ). Yesterday,however, was different, a bit unusual. From a long way off, I saw my 8 year old son, RUNNING towards me. As soon as he got to me, he  threw his arms around me, kissed me almost knocking me over, like he hadn't seen me for years.  I have no idea what prompted this kind of a greeting. A friend of mine was standing around and observed this incredible greeting. She said, "I want one of those."  I just finished e-mailing her  the story below:
 
"Jesus continued, "There was man who had two sons. The younger one said to his father, "Father, give me my share of the estate.' So he divided his property between them. Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. So he went and hired himself out to be a citizen of the country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything. When he came to his senses, he said, "How many of my father's hired men have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! I will set out and go back to my father and say to him;
 
'Father I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired men.'
 
So he got up and went to his father.
 
BUT WHILE HE WAS STILL A LONG WAY OFF, HIS FATHER SAW HIM AND WAS FILLED WITH COMPASSION FOR HIM; HE RAN TO HIS SON, THREW HIS ARMS AROUND HIM AND KISSED HIM.
 
The son said to him, "Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.'
 
But the father said to his servants,  'Quick!! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate......................." Luke 15:11- 24
 
Observations:
 
vs. 11........The man had 2 sons...they serve as examples for us.......we only have 2 choices. We are either with God or we are against God. We are either believers in Jesus or unbelievers.
 
 
vs. 12.......The younger one said to his father, "Give me." (sounds like us doesn't it).....so the father  gave him what he asked for. God respects and has given us our freedom of choice. He gives us what we ask for. If we ask for Him to leave us alone........he leaves us alone.  He will not force us to be in relationship with him. But wow..........does he ever long for us to DESIRE to be with him.
 
vs. 14......"And he began to be in need..." God uses our times of "neediness" to draw us back to him...May we be alert to our own neediness and that of others as a season of "opportunity."
 
vs. 17..."When he came to his senses... he went back to his father and said to him, "Father  I have sinned (I've done something wrong, something that isn't beneficial to me or anyone around me)"...........It makes sense to humble ourselves when we sin/do wrong. The fool is proud and "says in his heart, 'There is no God." Psalm 14:1
 
vs. 17 & 20.....The son said " I will go to my Father and say to him'.............So he got up and went to his father."   The son did what he said he would do. He didn't keep putting it off.  He didn't speak and then not act."Does God speak and then not act?" Numbers 23:19
 
vs. 20..........God is always looking and waiting for us to return to him, to move towards him. When we mess up, as soon as we choose to repent,,, he is FULL OF COMPASSION TOWARDS US........
 
"The Lord is Gracious and COMPASSIONATE, He is slow to anger and rich in love."
Nehemiah 9:17
 
He runs toward us, he throws his arms around us and he kisses us. He gives us an AMAZING greeting. .....a greeting that is a bit UNUSUAL.... So I told my friend, that she could receive that kind of greeting by the ONE who Created the Universe and loves her more than anyone else. ....the ONE she was made for.  Blessings from Bombadil.............home of a little boy who gave his mom an AMAZING greeting and an opportunity to reveal God's heart to a friend. Kristy LInk
 


"I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me." Phillipians 1:25 & 26