Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Was it worth it???

Last week Wednesday night I had the women from my neighborhood over for our
annual "Root Beer Float" evening. I simply gather the women together and we all
drink our floats, perhaps answer a question that I put on the invitation, and
share our highlights/lowlights of our summer/year. I really enjoy it.

After everyone was gone, the root beer and ice cream put away, and the Link
children all tucked away in bed, Rob asked me if it was worth it. He wondered if
it was worth all the energy I put into cleaning the house and backyard, typing
up and personally delivering all the invitations,  purchasing the root beer and
ice cream,  making sure the Link children are taken care of, and everything else
that goes into entertaining. Was it worth it?  My answer: ABSOLUTLEY!!!!!!!!

Here's why:

1. "There are some who are ignorant  of God- I say this to your shame." 1
Corinthians 15:34

    Perhaps, just perhaps, through my gathering my neighborhood women they may
encounter someone who knows God and is seeking to show Him to them through her
love, compassion, care for their lives, generousity, etc...Perhaps, just
perhaps, this might be an opportunity to say something, plant a seed of truth,
show them that God is sooooooo good or provide an opportunity for them to ask me
questions.


2. "Practice Hospitality." Romans 12:13
    "Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling." 1 Peter 4: 9

     It is worth it simply because I believe God commands it. I beleive even if
no one comes, some day we will be rewarded for our efforts in seeking to be
hospitable. May we practice hospitality whether it seems worth it or
not...simply because we are told to do so. Blessings from Bombadil.


p.s. Last year  I had a neighbor tell me that he thought I hated him
simply because I was a Christian and he was gay. He was shocked when I invited
him to my home for a Christmas party and thought to himself, "hmmmm...maybe she
does care.'

 "I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so
that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on
account of me." Phillipians 1:25 & 26