Saturday, January 31, 2009

My Bible

As I awoke this morning I quickly remembered that Rob took my Bible in to get rebound. "Ahhhhhhhhh..." I cannot describe to you how "naked" I feel. Oh- how I've come to love that WONDERFUL book. It has all my notes and questions. I may not know the exact reference for verses but I can show you right where it is in "My Bible."It's the Bible I really began searching for truth in. It's the Bible I've read through from cover to cover twice. It's the Book I have spent time with every morning for 11 years, since my oldest son, Jake, was born.It's the Book I have held from 1 child to number five child crying out to God, "help me be a good mom. Teach me about you so I can teach them." It's the Book that has convinced me that God is love and life is all about loving God and loving people. I need it more than I need my morning coffee. It is the Book that has been like a mirror revealing all my thankless thoughts, "me" motives, and flighty foolishness. It is My Bible that has been my best friend; comforting me, counseling me, inspiring me, convicting me, and teaching me. It is that very Bible that is not with me this morning that has given me this deep, deep hope that "what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when He appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is." 1 John 3:2. It is that Book that has caused me to fall in love with Jesus. I grew up loving Him and believing in Him. I grew up having the Bible read to me and have had many different Bibles throughout the course of my life. Oh- but this Bible is the Bible that has been with me as I have encountered the One behind all the words, the One who the words are all about.This is the Book that was with me years ago when I was wrestling with whether or not I should throw something away. As I sat with this book on my lap and read, "There is time to keep and a time to throw away...Ecc.3:6 I knew that the One who "searches our hearts and minds" had just jumped out of that Book and told me what I needed to do. Wow! I've really grown quite attached to "My Bible." I am soooo thankful. I'm also thankful that You, Jesus, don't ever have to be "rebound." You are always with me. Although I have become quite fond of and attached to "My Bible" may I never be guilty of "worshipping the created thing rather than the Creator." Romans 1:25. I will hold, John 5:39 & 40 in my heart this week.

May there never be a time in our country, like in many others, where we cannot read God's words freely. May we NEVER take the access we have to His precious book for granted. May His word water your souls, and may you go water the thirsty today.