Monday, July 19, 2010

Mom Monday

There are times when parenting is sooooo sweet and full of joy. Then there are
times when it is soooooo NOT SWEET  and full of HEARTACHE.  We've experienced
the later a bit recently as our children are home for the summer and cross paths
often causing lots of opportunity to bicker.


I agree with Prov. 17:1 that says:

" Better a dry crust with PEACE and QUIET than a house full of feasting with
STRIFE."


I have a picture of my 3 boys holding hands taking a little peacful walk hanging
above my fire place with the words,

"How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity!" Psalm 133:1

The goal is peace and unity but getting there seems to be quite an uphill battle
at times.


I'm reallizing more and more that as much as I believe in discipline and feel
like I do it consistently, I may not be as hard and stern as needed. Although I
hate to admit it, my gift of mercy can sometimes get in the way of what
is REALLY NEEDED to cause some CHANGED behavior.


We had a day in the LInk household recently where my husband had had enough of
the sibling bickering and did not let a single thing slide. He was stern and
very quick to discipline with severe consequences.  Ahhhhhhhhhh...........it
was sooo hard on this gentle, merciful soul.  But I KNEW it was needed.  Almost
every part of me  cried out during this time for "mercy," and yet knowing that I
really want PEACE in our home and CHANGED behavior, I knew I had to allow Rob be
the heavy hand. I also knew that I need to learn from him and grow in this area
of raising our children.


I have been fixing my mind on Prov. 15:10

"STERN discipline awaits him who leaves the path; he who hates correction will
die."

I asked Rob if he though I wasn't "stern" enough and like a wise man he
responded to my question with a question. Instead of answering my question, he
asked me, "Do YOU think you are stern enough?"

I said, "Well, I suppose if I were our children wouldn't be fighting as much.
Discipline should lead to changed behavior."


I also need to grow in the area of talking less and spanking/giving a harsh
discipline a little more. For this weakness I've been clinging to Prov. 29:19;

" A servant cannot be corrected by mere words; though he understands, he will
not respond."

Some of you may be able to relate to me in this needed area of growth and
perhaps these words are for you as well. Others of you might find bringing down
the hammer to be the easier part and need to hear different words from God.
Wherever you are in raising your children, may you look to His Wonderful Book to
help lead you and guide you. He knows exactly what is needed to help you in
raising your precious chidlren. As we seek to do this most wonderful and
difficult job of raising our children may we offer ourselves the same grace and
mercy tha God offers us AND may we continue to "Aim for perfection," (2
Corinthians 13:11)..........whatever that looks like, not giving up in seeking
to be wise in "Shepherding" our children for their good and the sake of His
Name. Blessings form Bombadil, a home that is hungry for peace, quiet, unity,
and delightful children.
 (Prov. 29:17). Kristy Link


 "I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so
that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on
account of me." Phillipians 1:25 & 26