Saturday, April 25, 2009

another reminder to be alert

I think this will be my last Saturday morning encouragement as I'm finding a little bit more time to do a few other things could be very helpful. So, plan on a Monday-Friday deal, okay?

Last night, Rob and I were up in our room around 10:30/11:00ish discussing the events and thoughts/feelings of the day when we heard footsteps coming up our stairs. It is not unusual to hear little feet coming up to our room, but this was different. We heard the footsteps, then I heard a voice calling out to "Elyse" and I think even going into her room. We listened intently and then heard the footsteps go back downstairs. I turned to Rob and said, "I think Zeke might be sleepwalking." We finished our conversation thinking that Zeke had just walked back downstairs and gotten into bed. As we talked I said to Rob, "I think I still hear footsteps downstairs." I decided I better check. Much to my dismay, when I got downstairs I heard a voice OUTSIDE knocking on the front door. Zeke had sleptwalked OUTSIDE. This is the second time this has happened. After the first time, we put a dead bolt on the door he had used. I'm not exactly sure how he got out this time,
but what I am sure of is a sleep walking child is scary. He was totally unaware. How dangerous.He could have gotten hurt or lost. I'm so thankful Rob and I were awake and heard him.

MAY WE NOT "SLEEPWALK" THROUGH THIS DAY, THIS LIFE. Going through this day or life completely unaware of reality, the greater reality, the spiritual reality of things unseen but more real than we understand, can be very dangerous. We can get hurt  or lost when we are not awake and alert. I believe I shared before the importance of being alert, but may I remind us again.

"No one knows about that day or hour, not even angels in heaven nor the Son, but only the Father. Be on guard! Be alert! You do not know when that time will come. It'slike a man going away; He leaves his house and puts his servants in charge, EACH WITH HIS ASSIGNED TASK (did you know you have an assigned task?), and tells the one at the door to keep watch." Mark 13:32-34

"Be alert, and always keep on praying." Ephesians 6:18

"Let us not be like the others, who are asleep, but let us be alert and self-controlled." 1 Thess. 5:6

May we enter each day fully in tune with the Spirit of God and where He is leading us and how He wants to use us. May we be obedient to every prompting that encourages bringing love and life and healing to each other. May we be alert and not sleepwalk through our days, our lives. Now- I have one upstairs who is not asleep or sleepwalking at all but is SCREAMING HER HEAD OFF. Time to go. Blessings from Bombadil. Kristy