Friday, April 24, 2009

"True and reasonable"

I've had countless conversations with friends over the years who simply (maybe not so simply) DO NOT believe that the Bible is the Word of God. May I share some truths that have been helpful in increasing my own belief. People need a faith they can stand on,  one that is true and from God himself, not just something that is good for us.

This morning, may I recommend reading "Evidence that Demands a Verdict" by Josh McDowell. An excellent book about a man set out to disprove Christianity but actually came away being convinced of the reality of Christ.

God's word says about itself:

"Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophets own interpretation. For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit." 2 Peter 1:20


"And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it NOT AS THE WORD OF MEN, BUT AS IT ACTUALLY IS, THE WORD OF GOD, which is at work in you who believe." 1 Thessalonians 2:13

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16 & 17

"That which was from the beginning, which WE HAVE HEARD, WHICH WE HAVE SEEN WITH OUR EYES, WHICH WE HAVE LOOKED AT AND OUR HANDS HAVE TOUCHED- this we proclaim concerning the Word of life. The life appeared; WE HAVE SEEN IT and testify to it, and we proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and has appeared to us. We proclaim to you what we have SEEN AND HEARD." 1 John 1 :1-3

"We did not follow cleverly invented stories when we told you about the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were EYEWITNESSES OF HIS MAJESTY. For he received honor and glory from God the Father when the voice came to him from the Majestic Glory, saying, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased." WE OURSELVES HEARD THIS VOICE that came from heaven when we were with him on the sacred mountain." 2 Peter 1:16-18

"Saul grew more and more powerful and baffled the Jews living in Damascus by PROVING that Jesus IS THE CHRIST." Acts 9:22

"I am not insane, most excellent Festus," Paul replied. "What I am saying is TRUE and REASONABLE." Acts 26: 25


The following is  one of my favorite verses that I cling to often when I'm struggling to hold on to my faith and his teaching seems hard:


"On hearing it, many of his disciples said, "This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it? " Aware that his disciples were grumbling about this, Jesus said to them, "Does this offend you? WHAT IF YOU SEE THE SON OF MAN ASCEND TO WHERE HE WAS BEFORE! The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life. Yet there are some who do not believe."..................From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him. "You do not want to leave too, do you? Jesus asked the twelve. Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. WE BELIEVE AND KNOW that you are the Holy One of God." John 6:60-69


Where else do we go? There is no where else. He alone is God and speaks what is true. May I encourage us this morning to become deeper and fixed in our belief that the Bible is the word of God, not something man has simply made up. May we fix these words in our minds and hearts. May our belief in this take such a deep root that we would all grow and become 'Bold and stouthearted" for the glory of His Name. Blessings from Bombadil. May your soul be watered and my you water another's soul. Kristy Link