Hello my friends out there. Although it was great to get away and have a WONDERFUL time in Florida with my parents, family and the warm glorious sun, it is also great to be home with the opportunity to encourage my fellow travelers in this life journey. I hope you all had a joyful Easter celebrating the truth that Jesus Christ is alive and " because Jesus lives forever....he is able to save COMPLETELY those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them." (Hebrews 7:24). It is my hope for you that you experience personally the "saving completely" by "God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, who alone is immortal and lives in unapproachable light (what's Florida sun compared to this?), whom no one has seen or can see." (1 Timothy 6:15) I know this Easter was especially meaningful to me as I am experiencing Him saving me from me once again......I KNOW HE IS ALIVE AND INVOLVED!
One of the first nights we were in Florida I took the girls for a run around the block. As I was approaching my paren'ts home, a few houses down were a few guys shooting some hoops playing a little street basketball. Knowing how much my two oldest boys love playing basketball I wondered if it would be fun for them to join in this game with these guys. Believing much in life requires asking, I simply asked the guys if they would be open to having a few young white boys join the game. They seemed to reply with an openess and excitement so I came home and shared the opportunity with my guys. My middle son, Max, responded quickly and enthusiastically while my oldest, son, Jake, declined for the moment (Definately different personalities). As I walked with Max down the road to where they were playing, they were all gathered in a big huddle away from the hoop. Not sure of what was going on, Max and I walked slowly by them waiting for some response
from them, but nothing came. It was a little intimidating for me as it became obvious to me that Max was sharing my feelings as he began saying, "Come on mom. Let's go home.....come on." So, desiring to honor him, on our second walk past this intimidating huddle I yelled to the guys, "I think we'll take a rain check." At this point, Max was walking briskly a few feet in front of me wanting to get out of there as quickly as possible. The guys yelled back to me, "What??! We're just pumping up the ball. They don't want to play?" As softly as I could, I whispered/yelled (if you can do those two things at the same time) "Could you invite him in? His name is Max." One of the oldest guys instantly shouted, "Max, do you want to play some basketball with us?" I watched Max stop immediately upon hearing this invitation, turn around and excitedly walk toward these guys with a completly different demeanor than I had observed just moments before. Everything
changed the moment they invited him, this stranger, in. Did you know that God cares about inviting the stranger in? Listen to His words:
"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will seperate the people one from another as a shepherd seperates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was A STRANGER AND YOU INVITED ME IN, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' Then the righteous will answer him, "Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?
When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you? 'The King will reply, 'I tell you the TRUTH whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." Matthew 25:31-40
Have you ever been the "stranger"? Have you ever been the hungry, thirsty, sick, imprisoned, or naked? Although this can't compare with many of your stories of being a "stranger", I was reminded through this experience and through watching Max of the vulnerable and uncomfortable place this is. As Max's mom, knowing how much he wanted to play but realizing his place as a stranger, I knew the only way he would stick around was if he was invited by THEM. Everything changed the moment they welcomed him. As a result of their invitation, I got to sit by and watch my son have the time of his life playing a little street ball. As Max's mom, I was incredibly thankful to these guys who not only welcomed him in, but called him by name many times throughout the game, put their arms around him and coached him, cheered for him when he made his shots, gave up their opportunity to shoot so that Max could make the point, and extend their arms and kind words
when he fell down. For a moment, I could relate to the heart of God as a parent.I was so pleased and thankful for these guys. God is our Father and every soul walking on this earth belongs to Him. How much it must grieve Him when we don't love his children well, when we don't invite them in or do all the other things he asks of us. On the other hand, how much joy we must bring to His wonderful Fatherly heart when we love and care for his precious, precious children. Do you see how good His heart is? Do you see His love for every soul?
May I encourage you today, whatever your situation and wherever you are to be sensitive to the stranger. Maybe it is someone who is new to the neighborhood, your school, your work, your church, your neighborhood basketball game. Remember or consider how it feels to be on the outside- it's such an uncomfortable and vulnerable place. Your words of welcome, inviting them in to join you in whatever it may be communicates "I see you. You matter and are important. You are a soul that God loves and cares about.". May I remind you that God sees us and is involved in our every moment. He cares about our choices of loving others or not. Our choices here and now affect our eternal destiny. May I encourage you to meditate on the beauty of the heart of God. When this world tries to convince you that either there is no God or that He is not a good God, may you be reminded from His truth that He is soooooooooo good. His depth of care and love for every soul is much
more than we can comprehend. May we bring joy to our Father's heart and his children today. Blessings from Bombadil. May your soul be watered and may you water another's soul. Kristy Joy Link
p.s. Jake eventually came down and was invited in by them as well.