Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Bloom!

My soul is rejoicing over here at Bombadil. Last summer I planted a tree near my driveway. I had pondered and searched until I found just the right one. When I found this willowy, airy, blooming with pink flowers tree, I knew I had found just what I was looking for.  So, I dug my hole, prepared the soil,  planted my tree and watered it faithfully all last summer. Although I did everything I knew to do there was still an uncertainty lingering deep within. I wondered, "Is this going to work? Will it really bloom next year? Oh God (really- 'Oh God', .. talking to Him, not taking His name in vain kind of 'Oh God') please help my little tree bloom and bring forth much beauty." I don't know about you, but flowers and beautiful things of nature have a way of reaching my soul like no other. My dream is  to have Bombadil OVERFLOWING with flowers screaming to my neighbors that God is a lover of beauty and an "overflowing/abundant kind of God." So now,
this Spring, my wondering and waiting is over and I am rejoicing over the beauty I am experiencing each time I pull in my driveway and take in the sight of my little willowy tree .

We are like that tree. God has planted us on this earth and it is his desire that we bring forth much beauty, much fruit, much delight and enjoyment.

" Early in the morning, as he was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, 'May you never bear fruit again!" Immediately, the tree withered." Matthew 21:18 & 19

"This is the meaning of the parable: The seed is the word of God. Those along the path are the ones who hear, and then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved. Those on the rock are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a little while, but in the time of testing they fall away. The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life's worries, riches, and pleasures, and they do not mature. But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering PRODUCE A CROP"  Luke 8:11-15


"I am the true vine and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off very branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. ..no branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, HE WILL BEAR MUCH FRUIT; APART FROM ME YOU CAN DO NOTHING. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and MY WORDS remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given to you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples." John 15:1-8

My dear friends- God is communicating with us all the time and seeking to reveal who He is. When my soul rejoices over this glorious little tree because it has flowers on it ( I did not rejoice when I "found nothing on it except for leaves") I say to myself, " I am made in the image of God, why does my soul rejoice in this? Could it be because His soul rejoices when my life flowers/bears fruit?" Then looking to His word and finding truths that reveal that He does indeed desire my life to flower, and he does indeed rejoice when I am bearing fruit my ponderings are confirmed. However, to bear any kind of fruit, I must first be planted in good soil, I must first have the seed of Jesus Christ planted in me. Then I must be watered by His words and retain them (keep them in mind, remember,continue to practice or employ). Finally, I must allow the master Gardener to prune me and cut off every branch that does not bring beauty or enjoyment believing that He is
sooooo good and only desiring to bring more and more and more beauty out of my life. I understand this. I get it. I don't want bushes and trees and flowers that don't bloom. I hunger and crave beauty. Where does that come from if not from being made in the image of my "Beauty-lovin'" Father. So looking at your own life- Please know this- God sees you and deeply desires you to bloom with the fruit of His Spirit:

"The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control." Galatians 5:22

Whenever you drive around or  are on a walk and notice all the beauty around you, know that that is God's desire for your life. ......listen to His whispers. His "blossoms" are the above mentioned fruits of the Spirit. He is actively involved in your life. Whenever things about you come up that are not so beautiful or enjoyable resist the temptation to be defensive or wallow in self-pity but rather allow him to prune you, believing that you are sooo deeply loved and He is only seeking to bring more beauty out of your life so that your joy, others joy, and His joy may be greater. Blessings from Bombadil. May your soul be watered and may you water another's soul. May much fruit and flowers come from your life to the Father's glory. Kristy Joy Link