Saturday, April 18, 2009

Party Hardy!

    There's nothing like a great party  .Ahhhhhh-  The gathering of friends together, good food and drinks, music, dancing,(laser tag, ponies, and dinosaur jumps) laughter and rejoicing/celebrating. This is turning out to be a "Party weekend" for the Links as we have the joy and honor of celebrating 3 different friend's birthdays. So,  I've got parties on the brain which leads me to wonder; "What does your Word have to say about parties, God?"

"Now the tax collectors and 'sinners' were all gathering around to hear him. But the pharisees and the teachers of the law muttered, 'This man welcomes sinners and eats with them.' Then Jesus told them this parable:

'Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Does he not leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep untiwo l he finds it?And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, 'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.' I tell you that in the same way there will be MORE REJOICING IN HEAVEN over ONE sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.

'Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins and loses one. Does she not light a lamp, sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it? And when she finds it, she calls her friends and neighbors together and says, 'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost coin.' In the same way, I tell you, there is REJOICING IN THE PRESENCE OF THE ANGELS OF GOD over ONE sinner who repents.'

Jesus continued: 'There was a man who had two sons. The younger one said to his father, 'Father, give me my share of the estate. So he divided his property between them. 'Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began in to be in need.  So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that he pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything. When he came to his senses, he said, 'How many of my father's hired men have food to spare, and here I am starving to death!  I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired men.' So he got up and went
to this father. "But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him. "The son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.'
"But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. LET'S HAVE A FEAST AND CELEBRATE. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again: he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate. Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard MUSIC AND DANCING. So he called one of his servants and asked him what was going on. Your brother has come,' he replied, and your father has KILLED THE FATTENED CALF BECAUSE HE HAS HIM BACK SAFE AND SOUND.' "The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. But he answered his father, 'Look! All these years I've been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate wih my friends. But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes
home, you kill the fattened calf for him!" "My son," the father said, 'you are always with me and everything I have is yours. But we HAD TO CELEBRATE AND BE GLAD, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive; he was lost and is found."

Luke 15

God loves a good party! God's heart is one of celebrating, rejoicing, eating good food and enjoying music and dancing. Do you know what makes his heart rejoice the most and cause Him to want to throw an extravagent party? It's not a birthday. It's not a graduation. It's not a retirement. His heart is most happy and the most ready to celebrate when the people He has created acknowledge that they have sinned, they've been wrong and choose to change directions and live life God's way. God's heart is the most joyful, most ready to dance a little jig (what that little jig would be and what that would look like is beyond my comprehension) when His children/ His sheep are with Him safe and sound desiring to live life with Him and in obedience to Him (because it is what is best for his precious children).

May I encourage you the next time you go to a party, to pause and be thankful that the God we love and serve is a party God. He is not some stingy, mean, party pooper. After all, He is the creator of friends, music, dancing, food and drink. He is the one who has blessed us with all those things to enjoy. It's all His idea. Isn't He brilliant and good?! May I also encourage you to either:

a. If you are a believer- Ask God to give you a heart like His that is bent on finding His lost sheep. Ask Him to use you in helping Him search carefully for His people and to not give up until you find them and they are safe and sound in the arms of the Father. Then throw a huge party!

b. If you are are in the searching stage -Reflect on your own life. Could it be that you are the lost sheep or the prodigal son? Could it be that you have lived your life wanting nothing to do with God and have simply gone your own way? Have you come to that place, like the prodigal son, who after living life for awhile without God realized ("came to his senses") it's better to live life with the father- not apart from Him. If you have been away from God- His heart is not against you. He is watching and waiting for you to come home. When/if you come- He will rejoice along with the angels in heaven. I really can't quite fathom it- yet I believe it.

Blessings from Bombadil. May your soul be watered and may you water another's soul. May you "Party Hardy".......you know what I mean. Kristy Joy Link