Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I awoke this morning very much aware that this is the first anniversary of a friend's husbands' last breath on earth. One moment he was painting with his wife, enjoying life together with her, the next moment he fell off the ladder severly wounding his head leading to his final breath. I did not know this man, Kevin Brown, that well. However, I am deeply inspired by him. He left a legacy. I was not able to go to the funeral, but my husband spoke at it and came home reporting that he had never been to a funeral like it. I heard it was a celebration of this man's life lived unto Jesus Christ and there was much rejoicing at the thought of him making music (he was a musician) with the one he had always sung about. Hundreds and hundreds  and hundreds (maybe a thousand) of lives somehow touched by this one life, lived as life should be lived, "By God, For God". I had been outside watering some flowers when a neighbor of mine drove past telling me he went to
the most amazing and inspiring funeral he had ever been to. Something in me longed for that to be said of my funeral. Although I didn't know Kevin well, I think of the impact of his life and find myself deeply inspired to live every second for the One whom I was created by and made for, the One I will stand before face-to-face and give an account of my life, the One who has rescued me, saved me, opened my eyes, forgiven me and loved me.

Kevin Brown went home to live with Jesus in the place of no more crying, mourning, pain, sickness and in the "presence of His majesty." Yet, on this earth, still walks his beautiful wife and daughter, his son, and a large family including his mom, dad, many brothers and sisters, in-laws, nieces, nephews........The pain of their loss forever imbedded in their soul. My own soul aches over their loss. I am so sorry. Their only solace in all of this: Kevin accepted, received and believed in Jesus Christ. They KNOW he is in heaven.

May I simply share two thoughts :

"Why you don't even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes....."James 4:14

The BIble is clear and our experience on this earth confirms that we are all going to breathe our last breath and none of us knows  when that will be. Are you ready to meet the One who longs for you to live with him forever in Paradise?  This is our time, as long as we have breath, to seek Him, find Him, seeking his forgiveness for the ways we have hurt his precious people and offended His all-loving and good heart and accept His generous offer of His grace.

Secondly, As you go about your day, walk sensitively. We have no idea what the people we encounter this day have experienced. We have no idea when we go through the check out lane at the grocery store what this day means to them or has brought their way. May we bring kindness, love, tenderness and gentleness everywhere we go. May we touch the heart of another soul with a warm and sincere smile possibly giving them the strength to face another day.

God's word says, "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress........" James 1:27

God's heart knows the depth of pain in the souls of those who have lost parents and husbands. He cares. He wants us to care and be His hands and feet bringing love and comfort to their distressed souls.

To all those out there who have lost loved ones- God sees you and He cares.

Blessings from Bombadil. May your soul be watered and a little stirred by the reality of the brevity of this life. May we all be wise with the days He has given us. We are not promised another.
Kristy Joy Link