As I was picking up my children from school yesterday, I chatted with a friend of mine who it seems the Lord has his eyes on. He asked me how I was and I responded with a very sincere "I am WELL." As soon as I said it thoughts of the old hymn, "It is well" came to mind.
This morning, I looked up the history and words of that precious song and e-mailed it to this friend of mine. I'd like to share it with you all as well:
It is a song that was written by a wealthy Chicago lawyer named, Horatio Spafford in 1873 after:
*his son died of Scarlet fever at age 4yrs.
*all his real estate burned to the ground in the Chicago fires of 1871
*While sending his wife and 4 daughters away for vacation after all this heartache, the ship collided with another ship and sank, killing all 4 of his daughters.
*Inspired by 2 Kings 4:26
"When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.
IT IS WELL, WITH MY SOUL,
IT IS WELL, WITH MY SOUL,
IT IS WELL, IT IS WELL, WITH MY SOUL.
Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.
IT IS WELL, WITH MY SOUL,
IT IS WELL, WITH MY SOUL,
IT IS WELL, IT IS WELL, WITH MY SOUL.
My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
IT IS WELL, WITH MY SOUL,
IT IS WELL, WITH MY SOUL,
IT IS WELL, IT IS WELL, WITH MY SOUL.
And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll:
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.
IT IS WELL, WITH MY SOUL,
IT IS WELL, WITH MY SOUL,
IT IS WELL, IT IS WELL, WITH MY SOUL."
When Mrs. Spafford's life was spared during the sinking of the ship and the loss of her 4 daughters, she immediately recalled the words of a friend,
"It is easy to be grateful and good when you have so much, but take care that you are not a fair-weather friend to God."
"Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart.
The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away;
MAY THE NAME OF THE LORD BE PRAISED.'
In all this, Job did not SIN by charging God with wrongdoing."
Job 1:21 & 22
Oh my friends- none of us knows what today will bring, but,
"Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ." Phillipians 1:27
May all be well because we know he sees us, loves us, cares about us and has prepared paradise for us where "He will wipe away every tear from our eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain." Revelation 21:4
Blessings from Bombadil. Kristy Joy Link