Friday, February 19, 2010

Max ...(and not mine)

A team from our church recently took a trip to Uganda to minister to the orphans and families there. Since they've been home, we've been hearing all kinds of wonderful stories. While listening to them share their experiences with both the people from Uganda and on the team, a desire has been stirred within me. It's probably NOT the desire you think. You might think that the desire to go to Uganda has been stirred, and although that is probably happening as well, that is not the desire I am speaking of. After hearing many people share about their trip, I want to meet Max. Max was the youngest (high school age) guy to go on the trip and one of the few that I have never met. I know nothing about Max except what I've heard people share that spent over a week with him. As I've been listening to them describe the way he spoke, the funny and kind things he said and did, the way he was with the Uganda orphans and the way his heart broke for the pain there, and
as I saw the delight in their eyes when they spoke of him, a desire has been stirred to meet this kid.  I really  would like to meet this one that I have never met but people  whom I love have experienced personally and shared stories about.  From this experience, a prayer poured forth from the depths of my soul:

"Oh Father, I want so many people to have a desire stirred within their souls to meet YOU because of my sharing of my experiences with you. I want to speak freely about the things you have said and done that reveal your incredible heart of love and goodness, compassion and mercy. I want people to see in my eyes  and hear in my voice the way I adore you and delight in your presence. I WANT PEOPLE TO WANT TO MEET YOU BECAUSE OF MY EXPERIENCE WITH YOU."

May we not be ashamed to speak your most holy name....JESUS!
May our speaking of you be as natural as my friends would speak about this guy named Max
May we be wise in the way we speak of you...not too much to turn people off & not too little to not stir a desire
May our speaking of you come not because we are told we "should" speak of you but because we can't help it, we are compelled by your love and our own personal experiences with you.
May we HAVE personal experiences with you and knowledge of who you have revealed yourself to be through the Scriptures so that we CAN share.
May we not speak of you from what we've heard other people say about you but rather from our own experience.  
You tell us we are the "salt of the earth." May we do our job and make others thirsty for you.

"Many of the Samaritans from the town believed in him BECAUSE OF THE WOMAN'S TESTIMONY, "He told me everything I ever did." So when the Samaritans came to him, they urged him to stay with them, and he stayed two days. And because of HIS WORDS many more became believers. They said to the woman, "We no longer believe just because of WHAT YOU SAID; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man REALLY IS THE SAVIOR OF THE WORLD." John 4:39-42

May we use this day, making the most of every opportunity, to make people thirsty to meet Jesus- the one they were made by and for. Blessings from Bombadil. Kristy Link

p.s. Can someone from Uganda forward this to Max and let him know I'd like to meet him someday.