"Teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can TRAIN the younger women to LOVE THEIR HUSBANDS and CHILDREN, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God." Titus 2:3-5
I LOVE this verse. I love it because it reveals that the heart of God cares deeply about how we treat our husbands and children. It is His desire that we learn to LOVE THEM WELL. I also love it because it acknowledges that loving well doesn't come easy and naturally. We need TRAINING.
TRAIN- to be coached in or accustom to some mode of behavior or performance. To make proficient with specialized instruction and PRACTICE.
I've decided to make my Monday blogs (for awhile anyway) , "Mom Monday," and simply pass along some things I have learned or am learning in raising 5 children and seeking to love them well.
Prov. 13:24 says, "He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who LOVES him is CAREFUL to discipline him."
To be CAREFUL is to be "cautious in thought, speech, or action. Thorough; painstaking; conscientious"
This verse came to my mind and was whispered in my ear this weekend as I was dealing with one of my children.I heard the warning, "Kristy, be CAREFUL!" I was starting to feel VERY ANGRY and was tempted to become harsh in my action and speech. So, I placed my child in the "check your heart" chair and took a few minutes for myself in my own "check your heart chair" (not really-but I DID need to check my own heart.) As I got alone, I took quite a few deep breaths, and reminded myself what God's word says (I have no idea how parents survive raising children without God's words):
"A GENTLE answer turns away wrath, but a HARSH word stirs up anger." Prov. 15:1
As I let these words sink DEEP into my heart, I was strengthened for the task ahead of me. I was reminded that if I am harsh with this PRECIOUS child of mine, this "GIFT/REWARD from God", it would only make him more angry escalating into an all out battle and it would NOT communicate love. After quite a few minutes and when I finally felt my gentleness restored, reminding myself of James 1:19:
"Take note of this: everyone should be quick to LISTEN, slow to speak, and slow to become ANGRY, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires,"
I was able to return to this child and discipline him with CARE. As I spoke gently, as I listened to his heart more than I spoke what was on mine, his heart softened. He received his discipline ( a spanking with great care and no sweets for a few days) like a champ. That night he laid in bed next to me (only b/c my husband is out of town), falling alseep holding my hand.
May I encourage all you moms out there to get Prov. 15:1 deep in your soul. Let it guide you as you deal with your children ( and ANY child of God no matter how old). God's word says we will BLESSED if we DO what He says. You are NOT ALONE out there. PARENTING children is HARD WORK that deserves everything we've got and requires great care and knowledge and obedience to God's words. WE CAN DO THIS! Blessings from Bombadil. Kristy
p.s. I apologize to you who are not moms. If you want to just delete Mondays blogs, the rest of the week will be for all women. Thank you for understanding my need to give a little time to this as believe Scripture commands.
"I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me." Phillipians 1:25 & 26