Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Happy St. Patricks Day! I LOVE St. Patrick's day (almost as much as pure maple syrup). I was talking to a friend yesterday, while wearing some cool shamrock sunglasses, and so our conversation turned to this special day. I told her how I love St. Patrick's day and immediately she began talking about how she use to love it when she lived in Chicago and had time to enjoy the day and the "festivities" (the beer drinking). I had to quickly explain that the reason I love it is actually because of the man being honored - St. Patrick.

Are you aware of St. Patrick's story? It's an awesome story. At the age of 16 years old he was kidnapped by Irish marauders and taken to Ireland where he was sold as a slave. For 6 years he had to take care of his Master's flocks. It was here, in his captivity, where his preperation for his future began. He began a relationship with God, talking to Him all day long and falling in love with Him. He "acquired a perfect knowledge of the celtic tounge in which one day he would announce the glad tidings of redemption." He became familiar with all the details of Druidism from whose "bondage he was destined to liberate the Irish race." After 6 years, he escaped and went back to his homeland of Scotland (I believe.....don't quote me on that). Upon his return ,his heart became set on becoming a priest and then going back to the people of Ireland who had kidnapped him and sharing with them the love and salvation of Jesus Christ. Rob heard last night from the man in charge of planting churches that St. Patrick was the best church planter that ever lived as he began 700 churches.

May I encouarge you today,to first of all wear green so you don't get pinched . May I encourage you to get on-line and read about the life of St. Patrick and celebrate this man and all that God did in him and through him rather than simply celebrating green beer. May I encourage you to find hope in his story. Could it be that you are in your "6 years of slavery" right now? Has life not gone the way you wanted it? Is life hard right now and are you feeling all alone? Could it be that God could use this season of your life to draw you close to Him and prepare you for your future calling? St. Patrick made the best of his circumstances by talking to God and listening to Him and what He would want to teach him all day long. He could have grown bitter and complained for all those 6 years. He could have let his heart get hard and been fruitless for his entire life. He chose a different way.Instead, he learned the language of the Irish. He learned all he could about Druidism. God used those hard years to prepare him to go back to Ireland and change it forever! Oh my friend- whatever your circumstance is- you are not alone. God can use what you are going through right now to bring comfort, healing, truth, freedom, and salvation to many other people if you allow Him to have His way with you. Don't give up hope wherever you are. Don't give in to bitterness.

"And we know that in ALL things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

"Nothing in all of creation is hidden from God's sight." Hebrews 4:13

"For I know the plans I have for you' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11

If St. Patrick would have taken his life, which I wouldn't be surprised if that thought ever crossed his mind given his circumstances, he would never have become all that he became. He would never have known the joy of being used in God's service. Ireland (which Rob and I are suppose to visit this year for our 15th anniversary ) would have remained in its state of bondage. GOD CAN USE YOUR PRESENT CIRCUMSTANCES , NO MATTER HOW DIFFICULT, TO PREPARE YOU FOR YOUR FUTURE CALLING!!!!!!!!


I wonder if St. Patrick knew this Psalm:

"O God, whom I praise, do not remain silent, for wicked and deceitful men have opened their mouths against me; they have spoken against me with lying tounges. With words of hatred they surround me; they attack me without cause. In return for my friendship they accuse me,
BUT I AM A MAN OF PRAYER." Psalm 109:1-4

May I encourage you to be a woman of prayer!

Now- make sure you buy a shamrock shake from McDonalds (St. Pat used the shamrock to explain the Trinity to the Irish people), wear green, and honor the man who brought Jesus to Ireland. Blessings from Bombadil. May your soul be watered and may you water anothers soul (maybe you want to buy that person behind you a shamrock shake and wish them a "Happy St. Patrick's day!) Kristy Joy Link

St. Patrick's prayer:( passed on since 493 A.D....amazing)

"Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ within me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ at my right, Christ at my left, Christ in the Fort, Christ in the poop deck, Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me, Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks to me, Christ in every eye that sees me, Christ in every ear that hears me........."