Saturday, March 21, 2009

Iron sharpens Iron

I'm so sorry you didn't hear from me yesterday. Thursday night, I had a long conversation deep into the evening (well- much later than I'm used to staying up anyways) with some wonderful friends (my husband being one of them). We were discussing some of "my ways" that just don't seem quite right to them. So, I needed yesterday morning to sit with God, His words and His Spirit, and continue to process what had been discussed.

It is this experience that I desire to encourage you with today.

I am so thankful to have men and women around me who love Jesus, His ways, and a truly healthy and free soul. It is a joy to journey with people who have discernment and are committed to engaging in the tougher discussions, speaking the truth in love, in order to bring more freedom, more health and more "Christlikeness".

These men, who are around me and are impacted by me and my actions, brought up something they noticed that just didn't seem right. They "spoke the truth in love".

"Speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ." Ephesians 4:15

"Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to his neighbor, for we are all members of one body." Ephesians 4:25

I have a relationship/friendship with these men and I know that they love me, care about me, and desire to see me more free. Something I did, a way I responded to a few situations did not sit well with their soul. So instead of burying that and ignoring it, they decided to bring it to my attention.

My first inner response was "defensiveness". However- I am sooooooooo thankful for the Words of God. Listen to the way God counsels us to handle such situations:

"Whoever corrects a mocker invites insult; whoever rebukes a wicked man incurs abuse. Do not rebuke a mocker or he will hate you; rebuke a wise man and he will love you. Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still; teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning."
Prov. 9:7-9

"When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom." Prov.11:2

"Righteousness delivers from death." Prov. 11:4

"Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid."
Prov. 12:1

"Pride only breeds quarrels, but wisdom is found in those who take advice." Prov.13:10

"He who scorns instruction will pay for it, but he who respects a command is rewarded." Prov. 13:13

"He who answers before listening-that is his folly and shame." Prov. 18:13

"A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions."
Prov. 18:2

"There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end leads to death."Prov.14:12

"Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry." James 1:19
(I have a HUGE ear in my home..thanks Nik.....to remind me of this truth)

So as "my ways" were brought up for discussion my first human nature response was to be defensive, air my own opinion and not listen to another side, go the way that seemed right to me, scorn instruction and hold on to my pride. HOWEVER- I HAVE GOD'S WORDS AND HIS SPIRIT! Throughout the entire discussion all these words were ringing through my ears guiding me (at times, my husband had to help remind me of some of these truths ).

So now, after hearing their hearts and trying to understand, I'm forced into the arms of my "Father" which is what I was doing yesterday and this morning. He is called the "Overseer of my soul." It is with Him that I am sitting and asking Him to reveal to me where I may be in error. It is with his Word opened that I am seeking what is true and seeking to be honest with my heart. It is with Him that I am asking "Why?" "Why, am I responding that way? Why do I do the things I do and feel the way I feel? What is the motive, the hurt, the fear, the lack of knowledge behind my actions? It is with his words that I am fighting off my ways that are not wise and tempting. I have a ways to go to fully understand myself, my ways and what I need to do differently but I am determined to fully engage in the process believing that God is using this to sharpen me, refine me, and lead me into more righteousness which in the end leads to more life, more peace, more freedom and more joy.
May I encourage you to surround yourself with people who may not (will not)be perfect but who are on the journey of life with Jesus seeking to live life his way(through much trial and error....falling down and getting back up). May I encourage you to invest in the lives of the people God surrounds you with and be committed to speaking truth in LOVE and not being afraid to go to some deeper more difficult places for the sake of more life,peace, joy and righteousness ( "The Kingdom of God" Romans 14:17) May I encourage you to let the words of Christ"Dwell in you richly" so that you may be guided in wisdom and become all that he wants you to be. Refuse to be creatures who "follow mere instinct" and "Speak abusively against whatever they don't understand." Jude 1:10. We are so deeply loved- more than I understand. His plans and desires for us are soooo great- may He have His way with us. Blessings from Bombadil. May your soul be watered and may you water another's soul. Kristy Joy Link

"Grain must be ground to make bread." Isaiah 28:28