Saturday, March 14, 2009

sighing?

Do you ever find yourself "sighing"?

SIGH- To exhale audibly in a long deep, breath as in SORROW, WEARINESS (tired; discontent resulting from what is burdensome or boring) OR RELIEF; To feel YEARNING; LONGING; GRIEF; MOURNING; To Lament

I have heard myself sighing a lot lately. Then I noticed a lot of other people sighing as well. I've been wondering, "What is that?" Why am I sighing? Why are they sighing? Do you/did you ever sigh on this earth, Jesus? If yes, why?

"Then Jesus left the vicinity of Tyre and went through Sidon, down to the Sea of Galilee and into the region of the Decapolis. There some people brought to him a man who was deaf and could hardly talk, and they begged him to place his hand on the man. After he took him aside, away from the crowd, Jesus put his fingers into the man's ears. Then spit and touched the man's touge. He looked up to heaven and WITH A DEEP SIGH said to him, ' Ephphatha!' (which means, 'Be opened'). At this, the man's ears were opened, his tongue was loosened and he began to speak plainly........People were overwhelmed with amazement." Mark 7:31-37

Why a "deep (profound, intense,extreme;profoundly absorbed or immersed) sigh"? Is it because of your sorrow; your deep mental anguish or suffering because of injury or loss; sadness? Is it because of your profound and extreme yearning (strong and deep desire; feeling deep pity; sympathy; or tenderness)and longing for men to be healed?Is it because you are such a compassionate and good God and at the deepest part of you ,you hate what hurts your people?

Then right after he fed 4,000 men with 7 loaves of bread because he had, "compassion on these people" the Pharisees came to him and "To test him, they asked him for a sign from heaven. He SIGHED DEEPLY and said, 'Why does this generation ask for a miraculous sign? I tell you the truth, no sign will be given to it." Mark 8:11 & 12

Why this sigh? Is this a weary sigh? Tired, worn-out and burdened, by the people on this earth that don't believe you are who you say you are and you can do what you say you can do? Interestingly, a chapter later from this you say;

" O unbelieving generation, how long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you?" Mark 9:19

I'm still not sure why I'm sighing. Maybe I'm tired of all the pain I see here on earth? Maybe it's that longing for my true home, for paradise. Maybe I'm just plain tired from all my responsibilities (which I actually love but can be tiring at times). Maybe I'm bored and want to experience MORE- more of God, more of His power, more of his healing touch so I too can be "overwhelmed with amazement" (Mark 7:37) or "overwhelmed with wonder" (Mark 9:15).I'm not sure why I'm sighing but I am happy to know I'm not alone in my sighing. I'm happy to know that Jesus himself knew what it meant to sigh and that his sighing seems to be full of compassion, longing, and weariness over unbelief. So for now, I will pray this prayer:

"Give ear to my words, O lord, consider my SIGHING. Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for to you I pray. In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation."
*Psalm 5:1-3

May I encourage you to consider your own "sighing". What might God be trying to whisper to you and teach you through it? May I encourage you to KNOW, KNOW, KNOW that Jesus knows what it feels like to live here on this earth. Read Hebrews 2:17-18 and Hebrews 4:15 to see more about how Jesus can sympathize with us. May I encourage you to pray the prayer of the father of the boy with the evil spirit when he cries out,

"Lord, I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief." Mark 9:24

May it not be said of us by Jesus himself, "oh Unbelieveing generation- how long shall I put up with you?"May I encourage you to cry out to him, to lay your requests before him each morning and WAIT IN EXPECTATION! Blessings from Bombadil. May your soul be watered and may you water another's soul. Kristy Joy Link