Tuesday, March 3, 2009

One of my favorite pictures gracing my mantle is one of my mom as a ten year old little girl sitting with her arms crossed displaying a precious ring on her right ring finger. This wasn't just any ol' ring. This ring symbolized she was part of a club- the "I Am His" club (I think that was the name of it- sorry if I'm wrong, mom). Although my mom grew up in a good home, with a loving mom and dad, it wasn't a home that passed on to her the deepest need and desire of the soul, a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. As a little girl, my mom began receiving Scripture verses in the mail from this club which she would read with a flashlight under the covers of her bed. This began her love affair with the One who pursued her soul in her younger years.Her heart was stirred by the truths she read under those covers which sank deeply into her blood and led to a lifetime pursuit of this One who pursued her.
This picture of her is one of my favorites because it is a picture to me of My God pursuing my mom as a young girl, her responding to that pursuit and thus the beginning of my story. What is the saying? "Home is where your story begins."
My mom and I chatted on the phone the other day after I mentioned about her being close to a "perfect" mom. I told her she must have done something right because why do I feel so healthy? Why have I felt so "full" all of my life? She shared with me just how much work went on behind the scenes. She shared about ALL THE COUNSELING she had to go through, ALL THE HEALING of her own wounds, ALL THE SCRIPTURE she had to meditate on, ALL THE SCRIPTURE SHE HAD TO PUT INTO PRACTICE, ALL THE PRAYING, ALL THE BATTLING, ALL THE SACRIFICE so that her children might grow up "healthy." Wow!!!!!! I have no words in response to all she went through for the sake of her children.
My memories of growing up are of a mom who was ALWAYS THERE. She was around when I needed a hug or someone to talk to. She would always tuck me in in the evenings ,rubbing my back and praying for me. Her gentleness with me will echo in my mind and heart (except for that one time in the laundry room on Indian Hills.....remember that,mom?) until the day I breathe my last breath. She was always pointing me to Scripture with her life. We often had homeless people living with us and she was always on the phone (the kind with the cord- no cordless for her) comforting the brokenhearted. She gave me such freedom to be whoever it was God wanted me to be. Whenever I would come in from those late nights as a teenager, I would find my little light left on and a love note beside my bed speaking of her love and God's love for me. She worked hard at having a good relationship with my dad. She was such a respectful wife, kind and loving to him (except in the car...smile, smile, wink, wink....they have to know you have some weaknesses, mom) . I have many memories of them teasing each other, kissing (which I HATED/LOVED at the time) in the kitchen, and going on dates. That is not to say they did not have their struggles and moments of wanting to "quit". Oh- and they would probably be willing to share with any of you their story of wanting to quit. But they held on to God's truth that says,

"Another thing you do: you flood the Lord's altar with tears. You weep and wail because he no longer pays attention to your offerings or accepts them with pleasure from your hands. You ask, 'Why?' It is because the Lord is acting as the witness between you and the wife of your youth, because you have broken faith with her, though she is your partner, the wife of your marriage covenant. Has not the Lord made them one? In flesh and spirit they are his. And why one? Because he was seeking godly offspring. So guard yourself in your spirit, and do not break faith with the wife of your youth. 'I hate divorce,' says the Lord God of Isreal." Malachi 2:13-16

Probably my favorite memory is when I would be scared at night and have a bad dream, I was allowed to lay in between them in their bed for a little while until my heart was strengthened again. There was no safer place on this earth. I can still recall to this day the intensity of that "safe" feeling. In Psalm 62:11 it says,

"One thing God has spoken, two things have I heard: that you, Oh God, are strong, and that you, O Lord, are loving."

I felt like I was in the middle of God. My dad, the strong one (who happened to be loving as well) and my mom, the loving one (who happened to be strong as well).

So, why do I share this with you? Please, know I share with some trepidation. I share hesitantly knowing this might arouse some intense feelings within you. My desire in sharing this is in no way to stir up painful memories for you ,knowing that this has not been the story for many of you. I could just weep thinking of all my friends out there who never experienced what I believe is God's heart for all His precious children. I am SOOOOO SORRY FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO DID NOT HAVE A GODLY FATHER AND MOTHER WHO PASSED ON TO YOU THE LOVE OF JESUS CHRIST FIRST, AND THEN THEIR OWN LOVE. My own heart grieves for soooo many of you.

I share this with you to encourage you to follow in my mom's footsteps of fighting, seeking counseling, allowing God to heal all those wounded places, letting His words dwell in you richly and obey His words that will be a blessing to your future generations and all those you meet. I will be eternally indebted to my mom for all the work that she put in behind the scenes so that I might grow up healthy and knowing the love of God from the moment I breathed my first breath on this earth. I write this to encourage you that JESUS CHRIST AND A PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH HIM MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE. I often wonder what my life would be like had my mom thrown away those Scripture verses. Where would I be had she not responded to the truths she read and made Jesus her King, her Lord? I am simply reaping all that she sowed. I take none of it for granted and believe the truth deeply;

"To whom much is given, much is required."

I also believe deeply He uses all of our stories. "And we know in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

He wants to work good from YOUR story. Your story isn't finished yet. May God get the glory from what He will do in and through your life as you surrender to Him. I love and care about you all. Blessings from Bombadil. May your soul be watered and may you water another's soul. Kristy Joy link. I am praying for you all today.