Saturday, February 28, 2009

Mothers and sons

The Mother/Son dance was WONDERFUL. I had so much fun going with Zeke and my friend, Michelle, and her son, Sam. The boys looked soooooo handsome in their suits; Sam with his pink shirt and tie (which 1/2 way through the evening was wrapped around his head as a headband and Zeke with his black suit, black converse high tops, green shirt and green highlights in his hair (given at the salon with his dad). It was absolutely delightful to see all these boys on a "date" with their moms. The mother/son relationship is precious, a brilliant idea, and can be incredibly powerful AND challenging. There are many examples of the mother/son relationship given to us in God's word. We are going to look at two. Let's first look at how this relationship can be powerful;

"The sayings of King Lemuel- an oracle HIS MOTHER TAUGHT HIM:
'Oh my son, O son of my womb, O son of my vows, do not spend your strength on women, your vigor on those who ruin kings. (ouch!) It is not for kings, O Lemuel- not for kings to drink wine, not for rulers to crave beer, lest they drink and forget what the law decrees, and deprive all the oppressed of their rights.............Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy." Proverbs 31:1-9

What influence we have as mothers in the lives of our sons. What responsibility we have to teach them what is right. It was the weight of that knowledge that drew me into God's words." AHHHHHHHHH- God! If I'm going to teach my children about you, I've got to know you and your words, first, for myself. God, I looooove to sleep in, but I really want to know what you say in the Bible. I really want to spend time in your word before my day gets started, but I am going to NEED YOU to do a work in me by helping me get up and causing my desire for your word to be greater than my desire for sleep. I NEED YOU, GOD. HELP ME!" He answered my plea. He helped me. After 11 years of spending time in God's Word I cannot describe the passion, and the deep joy I have of knowing His words and passing them on to my children. What meaning and purpose I have in teaching my sons and daughters about their Creator. I had so much fun last night teaching Zeke how to treat a woman ( a precious creation meant to be treated as very special), by opening the door for me and pulling out my chair (for me to sit on, not to pull it out from under me so I fall on the ground which might come more naturally for my boys). Our time with our children is so limited. May we, like King Lemuel's mother, teach our sons while they are "still tender" (Prov.4:3). Our God and their future wives will be soooo thankful. I know I am. I am reaping the benefits of all that my mother-in-law taught my husband while he was young. It was her that gave him a love for God by teaching him about God and reading books to him that stirred that desire. It was her that taught him to wait to have sex until he was married which he listened to and now I am blessed. It was her that prayed him through his life and was there to love him, comfort him, discuss life with him. THANK YOU, MOM! I WILL BE ETERNALLY GRATEFUL FOR WHAT YOU POURED INTO MY HUSBAND!

This relationship can be as equally challenging. Sam and Zeke were ALL OVER last night. You should have seen these two dancing. They were dancing fools; from leap frog to dance "tag" to break dancing all over the dance floor. One minute I would be watching them and dancing with them and the next I would not know where they were. All within a minute, actually probably a second they would be out of sight. I was comforted this morning to read about Mary and Jesus. Listen to this story:

"Every year his parents went to Jerusalem for the Feast of the Passover. When he was twelve years old( That's almost my Jake. Isn't it weird to think of Jesus as a boy),they went up to the Feast, according to custom. After the Feast was over, while his parents were returning home,THE BOY JESUS STAYED BEHIND IN JERUSALEM, BUT THEY WERE UNAWARE OF IT. (Ahhhhhhhhh- I'm not the only mom who isn't aware where my child is sometimes? Mary- the mother of Jesus was unaware he wasn't with them? There is something about that that brings a little relief to me own soul.) Thinking he was in their company, they traveled on for A DAY. Then they began looking for him among their relatives and friends. When they did not find him, they went back to Jerusalem ( a day's journey...can you imagine?) to look for him. After three days (okay- so not knowing where Zeke and Sam were for a few minutes no longer feels so bad) they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. Everyone who heard him was amazed at his understanding and his answers. When his parents saw him, they were astonished. HIS MOTHER SAID TO HIM, 'SON, WHY HAVE YOU TREATED US LIKE THIS? YOUR FATHER AND I HAVE BEEN ANXIOUSLY SEARCHING FOR YOU." 'Why were you searching for me?' he asked. 'Didn't you know I had to be in my Father's house?' But they did not understand what he was saying to them. Then he went down to Nazareth with them AND WAS OBEDIENT TO THEM. BUT HIS MOTHER TREASURED ALL THESE THINGS IN HER HEART. And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men." Luke 2:41-52

Mary, the mother of Jesus, knew the exasperation a son/child can bring at times. She knew what it felt like to sometimes not understand why your son/child does what he does. I wonder how she felt when Jesus responded the way he did, "why were you searching for me?" Jesus, her son, it seems expected her to know some things about him. He said to her, "Didn't you know?" It makes me wonder what things I should know about boys and who they are and what they need. What does it mean that "His mother treasured all these things in her heart?"

Treasure- to accumulate and save for future use. To highly value; appreciate

I don't know for sure, but I wonder was this her simply being a student of her son and who he was? Was she "accumulating and saving" experiences with her son for future use? Am I student of my sons/children observing what God has placed in them; their passions, desires, personalities, ways, and likes/dislikes so I can be helpful in the process of them becoming all that God wants them to be?

My favorite verse in this whole chapter is this, "Jesus GREW in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men."

GREW- past tense of grow- to develop by a gradual process or by degrees; BECOME

Ahhhhhhh! Jesus "grew"???It's a GRADUAL PROCESS - this "becoming"? My sons / daughters don't have to be perfect NOW? When I help my children grow in wisdom and stature (level achieved;status) they can have God's favor first as well as men's favor?

If you are a mother in the thick of parenting sons or daughters right now may I encourage you to know God's ways for yourself first and then teach them to your children. May you find find great comfort in knowing that Mary, the mother of Jesus, had parenting issues as well and our children's growth is a "gradual process." If you are a " not-yet-mom ", may I encourage you to store up these words in your heart for future use. If you are a mom past the raising children stage- may I encourage you to encourage those young moms you see(it is not easy raising children- especially if you're a single mom) and may you "adopt" some of those "momless" children- young and old.

None of us are going to be the "perfect mom." (although mine was pretttttty close )So we need to try our best, take one day at a time, feed on God's words and obey them, seek forgiveness when we fail, and NEVER EVER GIVE UP ...."though a righteous man falls seven times, he rises again."-Prov.24:16.

Blessings from Bombadil! May your soul be watered and may you water another's soul. Kristy Joy Link