Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The story of Bombadil

I have been leaving you with the words, "Blessings from Bombadil", and although many of you know the story of "Bombadil" many do not. So this morning I want to simply share a story with you and perhaps it will encourage you in your own prayer life , waitng for God's perfect plan for you, and what it is God may want to do through your home;

Before we lived here on Ruthin street ( which one day when I was on a run I noticed it says, "R U Thin?"...how wonderful to have that in your face all the time) we lived in a home 1 mile down the road on Evanston. Rob had wanted to move and I wasn't sure about that. So, as God encourages us to do in everything, we began praying about it. I made a list of my heart's desires in a home and presented them to God....and waited. ...... and waited. God had done a great work in my heart by this time and had truly given me a heart to go where people needed him. I trusted Him completely to lead us to the home he had for us and the neighborhood He wanted to use us in as His representatives. After many, many months of house shopping (which I'm sure many of you know WAY TO WELL....hang in there) we "accidentally" came upon this adorable little home tucked away in the oakridge neighborhood. My heart melted immediately upon discovery of this cottage/castle type home. The home was for sale by owner and so before I approached my little "dream home" I asked Rob what was the highest price we could offer. When the "castle" door opened and I spoke to the owner of the home, the price they were asking was the price Rob quoted me. The owner invited me in for a moment while she got a paper for me and I will never forget thinking, "if I ever live in this home, I will be convinced my God really, really knows me....deeply and personally." Everything I had asked for on my list was wrapped up in this little gift of a home ....and then some." After many, many more months of waiting and praying we moved into my little dream home.
After living in this home for a few months Rob made a comment that he wanted to name our home. I found that intriguing but having no idea what kind of name he was looking for I decided I woud leave that up to him. Months went by with no mention of this "naming our home" conversation. Late one night, while we were in bed sharing about our day I shared with him the devotional I had read that morning. It was a devotional based on the book and film, "Lord of the Rings" (which I highly recommend Kelly Luke). It described a man by the name of Tom Bombadil who took Frodo and Sam into his home when they were so weary from their journey having encountered much evil. It described his home as a place of light, music, and food for the body and nourishment/refreshment for the soul. Tom Bombadil refreshed them and then sent them back out to continue their journey. I said to Rob, "This is what I want our home to be. A place with light, music, good food for the body and soul. I want to refresh people who are weary on their journey and encourage them to keep going." Immediatley, he responded with, "That's it! That's it. That will be the name of our home........Bombadil" And so it is, the story of "Bombadil." Blessings from Bombadil my dear sisters in our Lord, Master, Savior Jesus Christ. Kristy Link